Financial Aid Services Center
Summer Financial Aid
The Summer Financial Aid Application is generally available in early May. Details will be posted on the summer application information web page.
Students who wish to apply for summer financial aid must complete the online application available via Web4U beginning in May. Because summer is Western's final quarter of the school year, financial aid is limited to Federal Direct PLUS Loans*, Pell Grant, College Bound Scholarship (for College Bound students who have not already received twelve quarters of the scholarship), Private Student Loans, and remaining Federal Direct Loan*.
Pell Grant eligible students can receive up to 150% of their scheduled Pell offer each year.
To be eligible for a summer Pell Grant, you must:
- Have completed a 2018-2019 FAFSA
- Be Pell Grant eligible
- Enroll in summer classes
- In most cases, there is a requirement to enroll at least half-time (6+ credits)
- Be meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)
- Have lifetime Pell Grant eligibility remaining
Important facts to note:
- Pell Grant alone is not enough to cover the full cost of attending classes in the summer.
- Many students use their full loan eligibility over the fall, winter and spring semesters, leaving nothing available for summer. If possible, students should reserve some of their annual federal loan eligibility for the summer.
- Eligible students may receive up to four Pell offers in one academic year.
- Check your Lifetime Eligibility
- You can check for your remaining eligibility level online by logging on to nslds.ed.gov using your FSA ID. View your Lifetime Eligibility Units (LEU) on the Financial Aid Review page.
Minimum Credits for Summer Pell Grant
- If you enrolled full-time (12+ credits) and received the full-time Pell Grant amount for fall, winter and spring, you must enroll at least half-time (6+ credits) in summer classes to receive a summer Pell Grant.
- If you enrolled part-time fall, winter, and/or spring, there is no minimum credit requirement to receive a summer Pell Grant (unless required by your EFC). You can use the remainder of your annual Pell Grant amount during summer with no minimum credit requirement.
Direct questions about Federal Pell Grant to the Financial Aid Department.
To request summer quarter financial aid, students are encouraged to complete the application once it is available and as soon as their summer plans are finalized. In addition, a FAFSA is also required to apply for summer financial aid. Students who have already completed a FAFSA for the academic year do not need to update their FAFSA. Students who have not already submitted their current academic year FAFSA must do so by June 30 for the summer term in which they are applying.
Additional information is available regarding summer term dates, course offerings, and tuition and fees at https://ee.wwu.edu/summer-session.